Monday, March 9, 2009

Blog 5 - Facebook Rewind

My Facebook citizen was an adventurous senior citizen from China. She was great at martial arts and loved to skydive. She was also into going to Bingo after she was done with her comedy shows on the weekends. All-in-all she was a pretty unique person. When I originally had an ideal citizen in mind I was thinking of the craziest person I could think of. I just didn’t think that being normal was on the right track to being ideal. Envy, theft, and death are all normal things that we encounter in life but are far from perfect. There is still one change that could be made to my citizen to make her an even better citizen.

One thing I would do to my citizen is have her more active in the society.  My citizen didn’t really take a stance to make a change on anything. To make her more ideal she would be passionate about a social issue. To be more specific I’ll say that she would fight for America to have universal health care. She would be passionate about this because when she was living in China a lot of her friends died of polio that ravaged the land. She wants to make sure that nobody has to lose someone close to them from a disease that could have been prevented from proper health care.

I think that this would be a great leap toward perfection. Before, my Facebook didn’t really have a goal that she was working towards. I think people should always have some desire that they’re aiming for. A depressing mistake that a person could make is getting to a point of their life and realized that they accomplished all of their goals; it means they didn’t aim high enough. My Facebook citizen will not have this happen and will fight for change until the day she dies.

A lot of the stuff that was covered in this course was taught in my high school. When I was a junior we had a boat-load of classes on rhetorical analysis. In my senior year we covered the moves of rhetoric: logos, ethos, and pathos. What made this class different was the emphasis on activism. I really enjoyed how this class made us take a social stance and to be able to sway people to our point of view. That is why I thought this class was worthwhile to take. The skills that we learned don’t just have to be used in the classroom either. They can be used at home, a ballgame, the movies, or pretty much anywhere when we have to argue our point of view. 

4 comments:

  1. I agree with your article fully. Your citizen was greatly increased with the addition of giving her a goal. I also agree that an ideal citizen needs a goal because without one what are any of us living for. Rhetoric is very useful for all the situatins that you suggested. Again, I feel that you did a great job on this citizen even though you only had one change to her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your character was extremely unique compared to everyone else and I respect that. I like what you said about giving your ideal citizen a stance to become more ideal and I agree with that statement. You showed through the course topic that obtaining a stance in a social issue is an inspiring thing and people admire those who take a stance on a social issue. You didn't incorporate the Warner quotes too much but you showed you understood them. Nice post overall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that the first ideal citizen that you made was already on the right track to being normal because she was different in some way. However, I still think the change you wanted to make is a good one because that is one of the main views that we discussed throughout our class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the changes you made are really great, I read about you character the first time and I remember thinking you had a really unique and "Ideal" citizen. However, by adding his a goal/cause in her life, you made her so much more ideal. The biggest thing I did to my citizen was by adding some sort of activism in his life and I think you touched on that greatly.

    ReplyDelete